Thursday 21 March 2013

Wolf's Pit Fell Race

Ran the Wolf's Pit Fell Race on Sunday, which was pretty fun. I'm meant to be training on the bike at the moment for the Majorca 312km ride in late April, so I thought I'd cycle there and back too. This turned out to be a good idea as I was nice and warmed up when I got there and met a couple of friends also running.

I found the running ok actually, the bike fitness must do some good. After the initial steep climb I toddled along the moorland paths, just keeping pace with the people around me. I should have pushed harder in this section as it's flat but the excuse of 'i should be bike training' was enough to stop me trying too hard.

Good thing too really as the second half is the harder part, with a couple of ups and downs, which were pretty muddy and therefore quite sapping. You feel like you're not making very good progress although the people around you also seem to suffer which is helpful! By the end of the final ascent I was glad I'd taken it easier earlier and managed to pull away from a few around me towards the top. However as is usual on the last descent they all came whistling back past me. The added problem of an untying shoelace meant I lost a few seconds. No bother though as I came in at a reasonable 71/286 in 51:55 minutes.

The cycle back was very cold as I'd cooled down a lot in the chilly wind after the race, but a slow grind up winnats pass soon warmed me back up and gave me the warm glow of thinking I'd actually done some bike training! I then buggered up all the good work by drinking too much beer watching the Milan san Remo and then visiting the pub, which meant I suffered the next couple of days with the nasty 'fighting off a cold' feeling. Seem to be better now after a rest day on wednesday though so back to training.. By training of course I mean cycling to work and maybe doing a slow longer ride at the weekend. Watch out wiggo!

Here's the GPS of the run:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Could do with some of that snow here in Phnom Penh ... It's 38 degrees and impossibly humid. Not pleasant at all.
    Good result in fell race ... You're obviously getting very fit!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete